Saturday, February 12, 2011

Horses


I've just watched an interesting program by Martin Clune on our relationship with horses. Made me think of "Nameless" , my horse on Paihia Farm in Central Hawkes Bay. I knew nothing about horses when I arrived to take up the job of junior shepherd on the station, so it was left up to Frank , the manager, to organise me a horse. When he and the senior shepherd arrived with this horse, I asked what it's name was. They looked at each other then shrugged and said we forgot to ask! Ok, I decided henceforth he shall be "Nameless"! He turned out to be good with cattle and placid when I did my first lambing 'beat'. That was pretty important, as I didn't really know what I was doing! If I dismounted to help a ewe give birth, I would drop the reins and he would just stand, kind of looking over my shoulder but if I took too long his big rubber lips would gently pick off my wooley hat and drop it in a puddle. It took me about a year to be really comfortable in the saddle, especially when working cattle, with all it's fast turn arounds and sharp maneuvers. But I got to love that horse and I often wonder what happened to him and hope he had a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment