Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cultures

The thing that I like most when travelling is experiencing a different cultures. I think back to Istanbul when I was walking over a bridge that there was some kind of a fishing competition was going on. I had a 'conversation' with a 10 year old kid for about 10 minutes, neither of us knew what the other was talking about but there was a lot of laughter and smiles and as I looked at his tiny catch in a bucket of water, we made the indications of fishermen the world over , of holding our palms facing with an ever increasing gap to indicate fish size.
On another occasion I was approached by a 13 or 14 year old who wanted to practise his school English. He was with a school group and had a name tag hanging around his neck which said 'Mehmet Konur' on it. I've since found that is a bit like 'John Smith' in Turkey. I've looked to see if he was on facebook but there scores of 'Mehmet Konur' on there.
I don't think I would like a cruise ship, unless maybe it was around the Mediterranean or the rivers of Europe. I need people that aren't like me to really enjoy travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment